Skillet.com Forums
July 24, 2014, 02:25:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: See Skillet on 'The Roadshow Tour'.

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Future Mainstream Tour?  (Read 5751 times)
david112
Monster Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 09, 2011, 05:22:28 PM »

I would be completely in favor of Skillet touring with Nickelback. I'm not a very big Nickelback fan, but you can't dispute the success they've had in multiple arenas (rock radio, top 40, etc.) and they draw huge crowds for their shows. A lot of people would be exposed to Skillet for the first time, which is pretty much the point of touring right?

True, but IMO it be destructive to the Skillet brand in the long run. As weird as it is, having not sold-out to Nickelback-like fame keeps Skillet a Best Kept Secret and something cool to discover.

And What is SKillet's brand? To reach people everywhere with a faith and hope filled message through music, to be a light in a dark place and to essentially fufill the great commision...hmmm sounds like they'd achieve that at a Nickelback concert.

Guys, I got so sick of people judging Skillet on who they tour with and it annoys me no end that we as Christians seem to think we have the right to judge who Skillet has the right to associate or even potentially share their faith with. Jesus never came to earth to hang with the good people of his day (the pharases, the rich and the upright) while some of them believed, the people who responded the most to his message, were the fishermen, the prositutes, the taxcollectors, the sick and the poor. How is it that it was okay for Jesus to do that, but when other Christians do it they are ridiculed?

Panhead Awards 2010 - Best Avatar

Panhead Awards 2010 - Most Hours Traveled to a Skillet Show
4given4ever
Psycho Member

...I wanna swim and drown, in the wake of YOU...

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 09, 2011, 05:52:04 PM »

Guys, I got so sick of people judging Skillet on who they tour with and it annoys me no end that we as Christians seem to think we have the right to judge who Skillet has the right to associate or even potentially share their faith with. Jesus never came to earth to hang with the good people of his day (the pharases, the rich and the upright) while some of them believed, the people who responded the most to his message, were the fishermen, the prositutes, the taxcollectors, the sick and the poor. How is it that it was okay for Jesus to do that, but when other Christians do it they are ridiculed?

Yeah and you say the same thing every time...It's great if Skillet wants to tour with secular bands, and while I don't enjoy the rest of the concert, I appreciate that they're being a light in the darkness. No one's fulfilling the Great Commission more than they are, and if they truly felt like it was time to stop touring with secular bands, they could say they've already done their part, cause they have. Skillet is nothing but a good influence on those bands, and they've already reached out to multiple ones, but it's not their responsibility to tour with them all...Part of me hates when they go on tour with a secular band, but the other part is rejoicing just like Jesus is for them taking a stand like that.

- Ruthie

Ruthie is 98.5% stubborn. Statistics courtesy of The Kitchen Utensils and Shelled Legumes Audio Relations Board.
Dark Whispers
Psycho Member

When Darkness comes you know im never far.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »

I would be completely in favor of Skillet touring with Nickelback. I'm not a very big Nickelback fan, but you can't dispute the success they've had in multiple arenas (rock radio, top 40, etc.) and they draw huge crowds for their shows. A lot of people would be exposed to Skillet for the first time, which is pretty much the point of touring right?

True, but IMO it be destructive to the Skillet brand in the long run. As weird as it is, having not sold-out to Nickelback-like fame keeps Skillet a Best Kept Secret and something cool to discover.

And What is SKillet's brand? To reach people everywhere with a faith and hope filled message through music, to be a light in a dark place and to essentially fufill the great commision...hmmm sounds like they'd achieve that at a Nickelback concert.

I believe he's speaking in the musical, not the spiritual sense. A lot of people say they've sold out in both ways, Skillet is the butt end of a lot of jokes around where I live. And I don't really blame them, I'm just hoping for a better album next time around to change all that.

- Will
Energy
Administrator
Psycho Member

As Hope & Change Burns, We RISE from the Ashes!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2011, 09:54:45 PM »

I believe he's speaking in the musical, not the spiritual sense. A lot of people say they've sold out in both ways, Skillet is the butt end of a lot of jokes around where I live. And I don't really blame them, I'm just hoping for a better album next time around to change all that.
Yes, I was talking about the musical. Skillet should continue to try to fill a unique need/niche in the rock market, rather than coattail riding on someone else's.

- Ethan
2010 Hardest Rocking Panhead Most Dedicated Panhead
2009 Hardest Rocking Panhead Most Helpful Panhead
CMike
Freakshow Member

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2011, 12:06:14 AM »

Yes, I was talking about the musical. Skillet should continue to try to fill a unique need/niche in the rock market, rather than coattail riding on someone else's.

For too long Skillet was known by many as "the Christian version of Nickelback", and I think they've finally escaped that label now that people realize that there's a huge difference. Tongue Touring with them would only reverse the progress that they've made in that regard.

david112
Monster Member

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2011, 08:16:24 AM »

Yeah and you say the same thing every time...It's great if Skillet wants to tour with secular bands, and while I don't enjoy the rest of the concert, I appreciate that they're being a light in the darkness. No one's fulfilling the Great Commission more than they are, and if they truly felt like it was time to stop touring with secular bands, they could say they've already done their part, cause they have. Skillet is nothing but a good influence on those bands, and they've already reached out to multiple ones, but it's not their responsibility to tour with them all...Part of me hates when they go on tour with a secular band, but the other part is rejoicing just like Jesus is for them taking a stand like that.

I always say the same thing because everyone always says the same thing, touring with almost any secular band will help Skillet and will reach many people. Surely you can appreciate that for many people who go to these concerts this will be the only time in their life when they hear the truth? Just because it dosn't conform to what peoples image of what a Christian should be like shouldnt and thankfully dosn't stop Skillet from doing that.

Panhead Awards 2010 - Best Avatar

Panhead Awards 2010 - Most Hours Traveled to a Skillet Show
TrainOfThought
Monster Member

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »

Have they reversed it? Awake is far closer to a Nickelback record than any of their "Christian label" stuff was.

You fall to your knees....come let the healing begin!
CMike
Freakshow Member

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2011, 01:24:53 PM »

Have they reversed it? Awake is far closer to a Nickelback record than any of their "Christian label" stuff was.

During the Comatose era I heard a lot of comparisons to Nickelback, but since Awake came out I haven't heard nearly as many. Whether or not that is justified is up in the air, but I feel like Skillet's recent success has positively affected that.

Energy
Administrator
Psycho Member

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2011, 03:12:18 PM »

Having a major single with a riff built by the writer of "Animal I Have Become" did well at reversing whatever damage "The Older I Get" was doing. If people paid more attention to the albums though, they would be inclined to agree with you.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:14:44 PM by Energy » Logged

- Ethan
TrainOfThought
Monster Member

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2011, 03:13:47 PM »

Well, you guys know my motto: "people are idiots." Tongue
I think that's a satisfactory explanation for that mindset.

Energy
Administrator
Psycho Member

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2011, 03:20:59 PM »

Well, you guys know my motto: "people are idiots." Tongue
I think that's a satisfactory explanation for that mindset.

Kevin is a person, & therefore an idiot by extension. Tongue

For all the genius in Rebirthing, The Last Night, Drugs, Comatose, Whispers, and Awake and Alive...Brian Howes then committs Skillet to writing these cookie-cutter Nickelbacks that never again reach the right effect like "Yours to Hold" (yeah, I'm looking at TOIG and OD2L, a.k.a. the same song, and DWM)

- Ethan
TrainOfThought
Monster Member

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »

I'm sure God would agree wholeheartedly that I'm an idiot.

Energy
Administrator
Psycho Member

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2011, 10:17:50 PM »

I'm sure God would agree wholeheartedly that I'm an idiot.

Yup, the only being to ever walk the earth completely devoid of idiocy was Jesus.

- Ethan
Energy
Administrator
Psycho Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2011, 11:30:46 PM »

If it was on FB, *LIKE*

If Skillet.com was suddenly Facebook, *DISlike*

- Ethan
4given4ever
Psycho Member

...I wanna swim and drown, in the wake of YOU...

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2011, 11:59:01 AM »

Roll Eyes Fine. Just sayin it was good, is all

- Ruthie

Ruthie is 98.5% stubborn. Statistics courtesy of The Kitchen Utensils and Shelled Legumes Audio Relations Board.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: